Friday 5 December 2008

Friday 5th December 2008

Mouth Saga day 3.

Well, the day started ok, much the same as yesterday - a good night's sleep and a tasty breakfast. However, I decided to eat a banana about 10am, and it tasted like it was made of chilli. I don't know if this was actually a reaction to the banana, or a coincidence, but either way the roof of my mouth flared up bright red and I had agonising, stinging pain all morning, actually bringing tears to my eyes at several points - felt like I was sucking a red-hot golf ball. I take back everything I said yesterday about pain, I've never experienced anything like that before - really, really horrible. I kept expecting it to die down (like when you put TCP on a cut or something - sharp stinging pain which subsides after a minute or so) but it just kept on, constant for 4 hours. In the end I cracked, and phoned the hospital yet again.

Of course it finally subsided on the way to the hospital as you'd expect, so there's me feeling like fraud, taking up the nurses time ... however, I don't want to have to go through that pain again, so I got yet another stash of potions, including a mouthwash with a mild anaesthetic and some "Oramorph" - morphine based pain killer - which is a hospital "controlled drug" (extra forms required for prescription). Nice!

Please forgive me over the next couple of days if my posts make references to purple elephants, "the bees, the bees", or any other slightly out-of-the-ordinary things. It's the drugs I tells ya!

Spag Bol for tea - yippee!!

See you tomorrow!

1 comment:

Mrs Jones said...

Ooh, Oramorph! We were good friends a back in 2006 when I was hospitalised twice for a massive infection following gallbladder removal and then a related bout of Pancreatitis. Mind you, made me vomit like a Newcastle lass on a night out each time I had it, but it worked a treat! Didn't give me hallucinations, just made the pain go away and everything a little fluffier.