Wednesday 4 February 2009

Wednesday 4th February 2009

I am very disappointed to read this morning that Jade Goody's cancer has spread and she has now been switched from curative to palliative care (i.e. the cancer is now considered terminal).

Whilst not a big fan of her during her "celebrity" period, I have huge admiration for how she has handled herself since she was diagnosed - she has displayed a strong and positive attitude, especially given the fact that she has been living in the public eye (although with Max Clifford involved, this is of course intentional - I even thought the initial diagnosis might have been a sick publicity stunt, but sadly not). No-one deserves the news she has had today, and I wish her all the best. To be honest it has scared me a little how quickly her situation has changed around.

One thing I have noticed is that more and more "celebrities" seem to be being affected by cancer - Kylie Minogue and Patrick Swayze immediately spring to mind. I'm sure this is not actually the case, it is more to do with the fact that they are prepared to be in the news rather than fading into the background to deal with it privately, but it does bring it home that this can happen to anyone at any time, and is not just the domain of the "common people".

Colin.

No comments: