Thursday 5 February 2009

Thursday 5th February 2009

We had a little more snow last night, maybe another inch. Enough to be irritating, but not enough to be impressive!

Poor old electrician has spent the day wiring in cabling in the new part of the garden for the outdoor lighting - not a fun task in -1 degrees, but he wants the first part of his money tomorrow, so I guess he had no choice!

I've been out signing my will and having a pre-assessment at the hospital to check I am ok for the anaesthetic etc. Had an ECG test, blood-pressure etc and a blood test. Nurse had to try three times to get the blood she needed (right arm, left hand, right arm again). The problem is that guidelines say they have to wear latex gloves, but they stop them being able to feel what they are doing properly. Finally she took them off and all was fine, but I feel a bit like a pin cushion!

I was told that I have to have a series of enemas on Sunday and Monday to clear me out before the surgery, so that's going to be a fun start to the process! Kaz, I'll try and get some photos ... only kidding! Thanks for the tip on the ear plugs by the way, I'll make sure I take some.

I've been planning my "last meals" for the remaining days - all indulgent and mostly unhealthy stuff - fillet steak tonight, 28-day matured from the posh farm shop in Harrogate - lovely (£22 for two steaks though!), Akbar's curry tomorrow night and some kind of scrummy homemade slow-cooked stew on Saturday - yum yum!

iPod in the kitchen is playing the Banana Splits theme at the moment - who remembers that? Excellent choice!

See you tomorrow, got to go and keep the cat away from the steaks! :)

C

5 comments:

jbee68 said...

Nan nan narh nan nan nan narh nan nan narh nan nan narh...one banana two banana three banana four.........Thanks, I can't get it out of my head now.

Nothing quite says food like a good curry.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your "pin cushion" affair. Obviously, I can say hand on heart I've never had to try 3 times to get blood.... ahem... You should be thankful they she wasn't trying to get a blood gas (from an artery rather than a vein... MUCH more painful)!!

Nice to see she dispensed with the aseptic non-touch technique to do the deed in the end! LOL.

As for the choice of food... how can you NOT go for supreme junk eg. Bigmac... possibly with an auxillary big mac on the side....Mmmmmm

Dave

Anonymous said...

Colin, i wish you all the best for next week, I will be thinking of you and looking forward to the positive update, do they have wireless in the hosiptals?
Peter

scotch said...

Banana Splits tune is mighty fine but IMHO it's beaten by the Pink Panther TV show theme.
"Think of all the animals you ever heard about like rhinoceroses, tigers, cats and mink..."

Anonymous said...

Hi Col
Was hoping to have met up at the hP event but alas it was cancelled !
All the very best for Monday, will be thinking of you .
Here's to a speedy recovery and enjoy that steak
lots of love Adele xx