Friday 27 February 2009

Friday 27th February 2009

Well isn't the World an uppy and downey place!

Today has been a good day again (it will be nice when I can string a couple together for a change!).

I have taken it relatively easy on the food front and have had no nasty turns like yesterday. I am definitely conscious of filling up though - I had a nice bowl of strawberries and double cream today (not a large bowl) and I felt as full as after a three-course meal. No sticking sensation like yesterday though, so no discomfort.

I have been told that my stomach will start to stretch again soon and I will be able to more comfortably eat more, but its definitely an ongoing process.

Sleeping was more comfortable last night, and I slept in late this morning for the first time in ages. I'm happy to sleep as long as I can at the moment, but I don't want to get in the habit if I can help it - being up and about is definitely helping me, although it does occasionally hurt a little. I know that if I am not active, then the healing will take longer, but I am very conscious that I do have to take things slowly - I'm not ready to go back to the gym just yet, so don't worry!

Great to see Ali and Siobhan last night - we had a good reminisce and giggle about the old times in Manchester, freezing our relative parts off trying to catch taxis at 4 in the morning - especially the night when Ali's brother Neil fell asleep in the Australian bar after one too many cocktails and finally woke up in the morning in my house in Salford and thought he'd pulled because he didn't know where he was! Ha ha! Now kids, remember, that was the bad old days - drink responsibly, now! :)

Talking of which, I haven't had the desire to try any alcohol since the op, but when it comes to consuming large amounts of calories in a small dose, maybe a nice creamy cocktail might be in order? I guess I'd better wait until my pain levels have subsided a little more though, as I'm likely to be bouncing off the walls after a couple of sips!

Number one in a series of one - "The Perils of Applying for Planning Permission" ...

So, as some of you will know, I started the process of having our garden extended into the wasteground at the side of the house which I also own. Someone complained to the council (I think they thought I was building another house!) and the planners contacted me. Apparently I was supposed to apply for planning permission for a "change of use" from wasteground to "residential curtillage - extension of existing garden" - sounds like an excuse to take £335 in fees off me in my opinion, but never mind.

I have duly submitted the papers and the fee and the application is under review (notwithstanding the fact that the garden is nearly complete! - I have been advised that it should be a formality though. Better had be, else I will have to plant a load of weeds and turn it back into wasteland!!)

Anyway, just in case you are wondering what the point of this story is (yes we are - Ed), well, the plans go up on the council website, including my name and address of course. Now every bloody developer in the land, from Surrey to Newcastle is sending me junk mail offering me roof trusses, building design, guttering and everything else you might need for building a new extension - I'm sorry to those in the building trade watching, but it would be nice if you took the time to read the bloody title of the application at least - which part of
"residential curtillage - extension of existing garden" suggests I might need to invest in a job lot of roof trusses?? Talk about opportunists!

Grrr!!

Anyway, snuff for now,

Cheers,

Colin. x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the local government...always looking to make an easy buck eh?

Hey, the veg garden is sprouting quite nicely! So far we see broccoli, butternut squash, pumpkins, carrots, watermelon, and beans. The bell peppers are a no-show so far.

Love your blog...photos too...keep it going!

Love to you and Vanda!

Barb & Al