Friday 13 February 2009

Friday 13th February 2009

People keep reminding me that it is Friday 13th today and that there are two in two months, so an unprecedented amount of bad luck might be on its way!

However, it is at this point that I point out that having been born on a Friday 13th (December 1963), I really can't afford to be superstitious!

Another good day today - I've been sitting out of bed since 8.30 and have been standing up unaided on many occasions (unfortunately I can't actually go very far once I'm stood up, due to my "connections"). Physios did take me for a walk around the unit (until I got scolded by the staff nurse for flashing my arse at them - it's not my fault they give me a gown with nothing at the back!! :)

I am currently connected to: 1. Urine cathetar (into willy), 2. Chest drain (into left lung cavity), 3. Oxygen (into nose), 4. Morphine pump (into neck "central cathetar"), 5. saline IV (into neck cathetar), 6. Jevity food (into lower intestine via hole in the groin), 7. Paraetemol drip (into neck cathetar).

Until yesterday I also had a permanent connection to a ECG via three stick-on patches, a permanent connection to a blood-pressure armband and a permanent clip on my finger for oxygen saturation. Since these have all been removed I feel much more mobile! :)

Unfortunately I can't post pictures to the blog via the PDA, but we'll take some and post them when I get home!

Gradually these will all be taken out until I finally win my freedom sometime next week.

Saw my scars for the first time in a mirror today and they are not too bad considering - again pictures to follow.

I am recalling a couple of conversations with the surgeon (regarding "the pesky nodule") and anaesthetist (regarding "the pesky epidural") which I will save until tomorrow as I've written too much already today, so tune in then for the next instalment! (see, I'm even learning from the soaps to include a "hook" at the end of each episode!)

Cheers

Col x

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Badgers, Mushroom and Snake take a break from their hibernation just to say how delighted they are by the resilience of their #1 fan and will now return to sleep, sound in the knowledge that they will awaken in the Spring to a stronger, fitter more streamlined Col!

Anonymous said...

Come on now Colin.... you can't count items 4, 5 and 7 as separate as they are all going into your central line via a 3-way tap....

Be nice to get that big boy out of your neck soon.... I could do it if you like.....

See you tmoz with fat boy and the fatter boy!!!!

Dave

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin,

It was great to see you looking so well yesterday. I'd even go so far as to say that if it wasn't for the scars and all the "stuff" (technical term) that you are attached to a person wouldn't know that you are ill. Keep up the speedy recovery!

Christine :) x x

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's been brill reading bout how good ur doin, you are a fabulous person (absolutely). Love to hear of arse flashing, and by the way, you can never write too much. Wish I lived closer to see you..

Luv KT (Twigg)

Anonymous said...

Hey, having trouble leaving a comment, so hope you get this. Luvly to hear how good you're doing..you are fabulous (absolutely). Enjoyed reading bout the arse flashing, and by the way, you can never write enough :-)
Wish I lived closer for a visit, luv KT (twigg) x

Anonymous said...

ohhh, just realised bout the comment being approved.....I'm such a durrrr. KT