Tuesday 17 March 2009

Tuesday 17th March 2009

A similar day to yesterday. The anti-emetics are preventing the full-on nausea, but I still feel a bit "off" most of the day. It's not that I particularly feel ill, it's just that I have no desire to really do anything. I feel like Kevin the teenager - even the smallest thing makes me feel like harrumphing and stamping my feet because it's all too much trouble. I guess it's the general lack of energy that I have at the moment.

To compound it all, today the council delivered our new waste management system. Not just a wheelie bin, oh no, nothing as simple as that! A wheelie bin, a bottle and can box, a small food waste container, a large food waste container, a plastic bottles sack and a list of undecipherable instructions:

Food waste goes into a biodegradable bag in the small bin in the house. When this is full, the bag goes in the larger food waste bin outside (I think that's what its for anyway - the instructions don't mention two separate bins here). This gets collected every week (weeks A and B).

Bottles and cans go in the plastic box. This gets collected fortnightly on Week A only.

Plastic bottles (without the tops, mind) go in the white sack and go out Weeks A and B

Newspapers go in the green sack (yet to be delivered) and go out Week B only (along with textiles in a separate carrier bag)

Everything else gets itemised on an A4 sheet of paper and goes in the wheelie bin which goes out on Week A (ok, I lied about the A4 sheet of paper)

The right boxes/containers have to be at the kerbside by 7am on the correct week else they will not be collected.

Huh???

I know there is a good sentiment behind this, but this is just ridiculous. I know what is going to happen. Give it two weeks and we'll be putting everything in black sacks and making our own trip down to the dump each week!! Madness! (Just call me Victor Meldrew)

Anyway, I hope you all noticed the comment on last night's post? It's not often you get an eye-witness account of a Space Shuttle launch on a cancer blog!! Nice one Barb & Al - I hope it's not too sunny for you over there at the moment - I think I saw a glimpse of blue sky in Halifax today, but I might have been mistaken! :)

Sweet Dreams,

Colin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin,
As far as bins go, we're ahead of you. We have the food bins ('lil and big), black bin, recycling bin and garden waste.
We're about 18months into it and the council have decided to withdraw the food bins or caddies just as we got used to the whole palava, grrrr.

It's the which bin to put out when is the key, it alternates for us it's spread over 3 days. It baffles me, a bit like Easter being on different weekends year after year - why is that when his birthday is always the same?

I think the curmudgeon you're turning into is as much age related as it is to your lack of energy and convalescents. So speaks Dr Baker.
Enjoy the bins and the 'stock rotation in the 16th century' Victor.
TTFN jb