Thursday 15 October 2009

AU55OME Weekend - Day 1

The weekend started at the Heli-Jet Aviation base at Leeds/Bradford Airport. A somewhat easier and less stressful environment than the airport itself - here's us in the waiting area, complete with cool dog!



The pilot simply asks "are you ready then?" and off we go - none of your messing around with security. So as you've probably guessed from the name of the place we are at, it's off to the helicopter for our trip down South ...



In case you're interested, its a Bell Longranger III by the way. We took off at our leisure, when it suited us and not before (my kind of travel! :) and passed over the runway at Leeds/Bradford. Air Traffic Control kindly kept a scheduled Jet2 airliner waiting on the ground until we'd passed. Again, the sort of treatment I am coming to expect in my 5* lifestyle (tee hee!)



We had a bit of a headwind due to bad weather in the South (for a change!), so our ground speed was only about 95mph. However, as we were flying as the crow flies, we still covered the distance quickly. We flew directly over such places as Sheffield, Chesterfield and Leicester on the way down (this is Sheffield) ...



One of the best views we had on the way down was flying directly over Silverstone at about 700ft (we stayed about this height all the way down, which was great for visibility) ...



The weather, which had been pretty clear all the way down, deteriorated a little around the M40 with a bit of rain, but it cleared up again before the end of the flight. We arrived at our destination after about 1 3/4 hours in the air. We were staying at the 5* Pennyhill Park hotel in Bagshot (some of my ex work colleagues will know this well), and we landed in the grounds, which was definitely the best way I have ever arrived at that hotel. Here's a pic of the hotel from above ...



You can see the helipad just by the rugby pitch. Why is there a rugby pitch at the hotel? Well this is where the England rugby team stay before any match at Twickenham and they use the pitch for training.

Here is a link to a video of us coming in to land:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaprnGgDD_U

When we landed, the hotel already had a golf cart waiting to take us to reception - nice touch!





Overall, an excellent experience and definitely the most convenient way to travel. Here's pictures of the excited passengers ...

Colin #1



Colin #2, who, it should be mentioned, is terrified of flying! (he did enjoy himself in the end!)



Vanda and Nova, doing what they do best :) ...



After arrival, we spent a few hours in the award-winning SPA, including the outdoor heated spa pool (43 degrees - lovely!) and the 11 different heat (and cold) rooms. I could easily spend all day there ...



Finally, we went off to dinner at the hotel's Michelin-starred restaurant, the Latymer, for their 11-course Tasting Menu. I was very nervous about this, due to my eating difficulties. Although the courses are very small, I was worried I'd only manage a few and I'd have to waste the rest of the experience. I managed the first seven savoury dishes, then had to leave the table for a lie down. However, I felt better in about half an hour, and made it back for the last two desserts, meaning I only missed two courses. I am very pleased with myself for that as the food was absolutely gorgeous. Here's a couple of the courses ...


This one is Grouse, with lots of other bits I can't remember off the top of my head



And this one is scallops - all absolutely gorgeous. If I had a Michelin-starred restaurant at the end of my road, I'd be in there every night!



So that's the end of Day 1 - Day 2 to follow tomorrow hopefully (if I get my act together!)

Cheers,

Cx

4 comments:

jbee68 said...

I right good do, from the look of it. Can't wait to see day 2

Anonymous said...

Absolutely flippin fabulous, what a great thing to do, wanna be there KT x

Anonymous said...

ps first time I've seen image of Wanda, nice to see her, hello Wanda :-) KT x

Anonymous said...

Bloody hell!!! What an amazing trip! Love the private copter.... that is DEFINATELY the way forward....

Dave