Tuesday 29 September 2009

Tuesday 29th September 2009

Happy birthdays Annie and David! Have a good one!

I guess the main news today is that I've finished my chemo treatment for the forseeable future and maybe for good. I've been at the hospital today for my post chemo CT scan which all went as per normal - pint of pernod-flavoured water, and injection of stuff to make me feel all warm inside (well, it's not designed for that purpose - that's just a pleasant side-effect of course!). For some reason I also had what I call the Tequila Slammer this time too. I've had 5 CT scans now and only had this for two of them. I had to swallow a fizzy powder, then wash it down with a shot of lemon juice which makes the powder fizz up. Apparently it is designed to inflate your stomach to get better results.

I don't expect the results of the scan until I see my oncologist again on the 20th October, although there is a chance she may phone me beforehand.

I also had my usual blood test while I was at the hospital, so I've got holes in both elbows at the moment. I need to get the results of that checked tomorrow, so they can let me know whether I am fit enough to have the flu jab which I have booked for Saturday morning.

I asked about the SwineFlu vaccine the other day, and at the moment they are just recommending the normal flu jab, although I am hearing more and more about the vaccination on the news. I think that people with cancer are one of the "at risk" cases who will get the first doses of the vaccine, although I haven't heard this confirmed recently - they usually just mention the pregnant when they talk about it - I'll have the flu jab (assuming I'm fit enough), then I will talk to my GP about the vaccine which they are now mentioning in the November timeframe.

Another friend had the SwineFlu recently, which brings the total up to three that I know of so far - all in different areas of the country. No-one too close to home so far though.

Unfortunately my Segway riding adventure I mentioned a while back was cancelled at the last minute. The company helpfully went bust on us. Really annoying as I was looking forward to it, but nothing we can do except go through the grief of trying to get a refund etc ... :(

Nothing special to look forward to this week, but the band (the New Originals, not The Distractions) have a gig on Saturday in Manchester. I'd like to say I'm looking forward to it, but it's at the 5* Lowry hotel in Manchester (where all the footballers stay) - we've played there quite a few times now and they treat "workers" like poo - they even expect us to pay for parking! Rather than being treated with respect like most places we play, this particular hotel seems to think we are something to be scraped off their shoe. Still, little do they know that their treatment of someone who they think is inconsequential, has led to me crossing them off my list of places to consider staying at any time in my "strictly 5*" future, so it goes to show that you should treat everybody with respect, not just those who you think are valuable to you!

Thanks to those who have listened to the songs we recorded (see last post below) - good feedback so far!

That's all for now. Hope you have a good week,

Col x

No comments: