Thursday 10 September 2009

Thursday 10th September 2009

Hi All,

Had my last dose of chemo for a while on Monday. For some reason there was a delay in getting the drugs up from the pharmacy, so it was a long day in the hospital - I was there at 9 for my consultant appointment, then the treatment didn't finish until 6pm. Still, that's all done now.

Due to my increased tiredness, my consultant has reduced the chemo dose back to where it was for the first cycle, so hopefully that will help. I won't know for a while as I'm still experiencing the energy boost form the initial high steroid dose, but we'll see next week when the dose reduces and I get my traditional slump.

We discussed what will happen after this cycle of chemo, and it seems I will have another CT scan (yet to be arranged) sometime in the couple of weeks after the cycle finishes. I then have another consultant appointment on the 20th Oct. After this I will probably be left to it for at least a couple of months and then probably another scan to see how the tumours are responding "post-chemo".

It is then likely that I won't have regular scans, it will just be a case of managing symptoms - they may scan me again if anything shows up phsyically - pain etc, but they won't do it as a matter of course.

I guess it is the scan after next which will prove to be the next important milestone - the true unknown of whether the chemo will hold the growth at bay or at least slow it down for a while, or whether it just comes back aggressively as soon as the chemo stops - it may be after Christmas before I find this out though - more waiting! :(

That's all for now, except for "well done England!"

Cheers,

Colin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Know the incovenience of having to wait for the "drugs to come up from Pharmacy"... happens all the time... you would think for a day case chemo, they might have had all that organised.... but hey...

It seems the last chemo made a big difference in the reducing tumour size so the evidence of that strongly suggests it has been very beneficial. Better still as you're coping so well with the side FX, there's also nothing to preclude further cycles at this stage.

Was really looking forward to the gig on 3rd Oct but now looks like I'm not going to be able to make it. No ****** wil swap and/or hold the fort for me to do the gig then get back to work. Oh well. Hopefully we should get a few more in the run up to Xmas.

You're strength through all of this is inspirational Col. Sorry I couldn't make the do at yours the other night with Steve and Matt etc. (yes work once again). Would be good to catch up soon tho in the absence of any gigs in the near future.

Dave

Anonymous said...

just sending some love and best wishes to you xx
alison