Tuesday 11 August 2009

Tuesday 11th August 2009

Yo Stig! Good to hear from you - I didn't realise you were a Blog-reader.

I'm gutted to be missing the annual Oslo Shrimpfest - for the rest of the readers this is an annual event organised by the Norwegian user community for our software. An outing in the Oslo Fjord on a lovely old boat complete with a vat of super-fresh Norwegian prawns and several gallons of beer:


After the trip, there is the traditional visit to a land-based pub for Irish Car-bombs - a dodgily named Guiness cocktail which everyone should try. Here's how ...

3/4 pint of Guinness in a pint glass. 1/2 shot of Baileys and 1/2 shot Jamiesons in a shot glass. Drop the shot glass into the Guinness and drink down in one (otherwise it curdles). Sounds horrible, but it tastes really nice, and "does the trick" if you know what I mean. Unfortunately my days of drinking a pint in one are long gone, but I can still evangelise! :)

Here you can see the ICB's lined up on the bar, hosted by a Norwegian barman who looks uncannily like Keith from Eastenders (not that I would ever admit to having watched Eastenders of course!)


Anyway, enough about Norway for a minute (although I do love the place!)

Had a really good day yesterday - it was great to see Rich and family who I haven't seen since Rich moved to San Francisco 15 years ago - nice to catch up on old times. I posted on Facebook that I'd had a good day and was really surprised to receive so many positive comments in return - very kind, but also indicative of how much time my friends spend on Facebook when they SHOULD BE WORKING! Ha ha! :)

Best wishes to Ringo who I hear has Swine Flu. Get well soon mate, and KEEP THE HELL AWAY FROM ME!

Seriously, I'm quite worried about Swine Flu - it would be really bad if I got it (potentially life threatening) and we are about to move into autumn when predictions are that it will spread more virulently. There is talk of a vaccine, possibly due in September, and cancer patients will be among the first to get it, but there is likely to be quite a long period before it becomes available when I (and others in my position) will be at risk. An irritating extra complication I could do without!

Disappointed to hear that Michael Schumacher has pulled out of a return to Formula 1 - I was really looking forward to that, but never mind.

As you can see, I've not really got any news today - still ok, although a little "mentally" tired today. Not sure why, but finding it difficult to concentrate on anything. Hopefully better tomorrow.

Will stop there for today. See you soon!

Cheers,

Col x

1 comment:

dave jones said...

oh i see... lots of sympathy for ringo and his swine flu... but none for me when i had it!

and when did you go to norway? was it a "work" trip? i've
been to sweden and the locals were all extremely good looking! i believe norway is a similar kettle of prawns.

glad all is well mate. must give that guiness thing a try!

dave