Monday 18 January 2010

Monday 18th January 2010

Late as usual, but this past week has been quite busy with medical appointments. We're off the disease-related stuff now, and onto palliative care physical stuff.

I had my new hospital bed delivered last Tuesday against the odds. We were still snowed in, and the delivery guys didn't fancy driving down the hill, so, amazingly, they constructed a contraption of all the bed parts and wheeled id down the hill on its castors through the snow, which I thought was beyond the call of duty - very impressed!

Bed has mad a great difference. the mattress seems similar to my existing one, but definitely cushions the potential bedsore areas better than mine did. It's also great for lying on my back - raising the head and legs is so much more comfortable, and also sitting up to eat or watch telly is good too.

Wednesday I saw the Orthopedic Therapist, and she came with a catalogue of a huge set of devices, all designed to help. I've already got an inflatable bath cushion to help me in and out and whilst I'm in the bath, plus a padded toilet seat on its way (I have absolutely no padding on my bum these days, and sitting on the loo or in the bath really hurts me' bones!)

I've even been offered a stair lift. It seems that when your prognosis is as limited as mine, you pretty much get anything you want for free, because they are only lending it to you for a short time. I'll leave it a little while, but I'm definitely noticing it getting even harder to get up stairs, so I can see a stair lift being introduced shortly!

Got to go now, its getting painful to write and I need to lie down again. Soon I will move my laptop up to my bed which will help me do more regular posts and also may help me do my Tax Return, which sill needs to be done as long as the IR believe there is a breath left in my body no doubt :(

Cheers,

Col

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Col
Take everything they can give you if it makes things more comfortable for you. As for the Tax man ,,, to hell with him !!
Take care love deli xx

Alan said...

Glad the bed has arrived, you can set the angle for the perfect viewing angle of the Spurs! Take care. A&A

jbee68 said...

Do the gadgets extend to someone doing that tax return for you? Robbing g*ts. Take it easy and I'm glad the bed is making a difference.

Anonymous said...

Stuff her majesty's thieves....can't believe u wudnt let me av a go in ur new bed! Ali. ;0) x