Friday 8 January 2010

Friday 8th January 2010

Hi folks,

Snowed in here for the last four days. No huge amounts of snow - 6 inches or so - but it doesn't take much for the hill into our cul-de-sac to become unusable, and now they've stopped gritting anything except main roads, I guess we'll be snowed in for some time yet, especially as its just started snowing again!

In fact the snow meant that I missed my consultant's appointment on Tuesday for my scan results. However, we did manage to catch up by phone, and the overall results are as expected - new growth in lung and liver mets since my last chemo. No news about whether there is any known or likely spread elsewhere, but it seems that the liver and lungs are the two area to focus on. My liver is still working ok at the moment and I'm not in any pain, so I'm still little the wiser as to how long I can fight this for.

I'm getting the new hospital bed delivered on Monday which should help with comfort levels getting out of bed and sitting up to watch TV and also reducing the risk of pressure sores with the special matress.

No other news, just plodding on regardless, and sleeping ridiculous hours per day!

Cheers,

Colin x

8 comments:

jbee68 said...

Hi Col,

Happy New Year!
Sleep is highly underrated especially during the day.

Snowed in, eh. So am I (for similar geography) or at least until this afternoon. The empty fridge and bare cupboards forced me to go into Ray Mears mode.

Anymore car plans?

BTW what did you get for that double base you had? I followed that thread and don't remember the final price.

TTFN
jb

jbee68 said...

Make that bass (spell check!!!)

Stig said...

Colin,

Happy New Year from Norway!

I never understand how you brits managed to build an empire when a few inches on the ground gets the better of you. Over here, we spent new year's in the mountains. About 1m of snow, and the temperature bottomed out at -29C. Quite cold indeed, but not unbearable -we skied the next day.

Hang in there, Col. Cheers, Stig

Anonymous said...

Hi mate. Frankly can't wait for the snow to disappear but it's keeping things quiet at the hospital so I'm not complaining too much!

Glad you're doing ok. Keep your spirits up mate... which reminds me - what do you think about this public gig idea?

Dave

Annie said...

Happy New Year Colin. Glad you're getting a hospital bed it'll make things a lot easier for you and the pressure relieving mattress will, as you said, help prevent pressurre sores....make sure you move about in bed every half and hour or so as well. We were snowed in for a day or so, I live within walking distance of one of our bases so had to go in.......boo (roll on moving into the cottage!). I've organised a four wheel drive + driver tomorrow so we can do some of the more urgent visits. I'm hoping it'll be driven by a hunky young fireman but it will probably be an old balding git......it doesn't hurt a gal to dream!! Lots of love and 'soft southern' hugs Annie and David xxxxx

Alan said...

Good idea re the bed, hopefully Spurs will be back on TV soon so you will get the optimal viewing angle (can't say the result will always be optimum, and hopefully not if playing the the blues). Can not understand why the games are not being played since premier league have heated pitches, why is it more "dangerous" to go to the game then go to Tesco's which all seem to be open??
Signed grumpy old man (no football cold Turkey kicking in)
A&A

Anonymous said...

Hey Colin,
Yes, 2010...sounds too futuristic somehow? I agree with Jeremy..sleep is highly underrated...I love it, especially in the afternoons. Talking of futuristic, went to see Avatar yesterday for my birthday treat...quite mindblowing! Do you go to the flicks at all?
Luv KT x

Unknown said...

Hi Col,

I heard about all this snow, just been to NZ for a month, stopped in Singapore on the way back, last week it was 35c there and -13c here in Wales!! I certainly have a woolly hat on.

Just caught up on the blog, the AU55OME weekend, certainly looked like fun and I remember many good nights at Benny Hill, some of them with you - can I write that without incriminating either of us!!

I'll give you a call next time I am flying past, I hope that you won't be wearing out the motors in the bed or thrashing your neighbours at chess.

See you soon.

Andy