Sunday 31 May 2009

Sunday 31st May 2009

Afternoon all!

Doesn't it make a difference when the weather is nice? I've had a couple of very good days in a row so far, and not too bad a week overall.

I have my CT scan tomorrow morning, which is good as I don't have a long time nil by mouth beforehand, just nothing after midnight which is ok. It's going to be interesting trying to drink a litre of pernod-flavoured stuff though - I'm not sure I can manage a litre within an hour these days - still, I guess I'll just drink what I can.

I've also got a referral to the palliative care team again once I've got the results. The problem at the moment is that they are treating me blind - they need the scan results to see if there is anything physical which might be causing the nausea - if so, it may mean that no amount of drugs can help, but there may be other courses of treatment. We'll see. The good news is that they are still trying different things to get on top of this.

The truth is, if everyday was like yesterday, I'd be absolutely fine - I ate well, no trace of nausea and I felt energetic enough to get out and about a bit and to spend some time cooking a big batch of indian dhal for the freezer (good source of protein!) Today has been pretty good so far, but I don't have quite as much energy - still no sickness so far which is my main measure of a good day.

Only a week and a half to go now until my planned work trip to London. I'm still very nervous, as I haven't made the progress I've expected to since accepting the engagement, but I'm still determined to go through with it anyway as it stands at the moment. Hopefully I haven't bitten off more than I can chew - after all, my committment is only to one 30 minute presentation on mainstage and two other 30 minute presentations in side rooms over two whole days, so if I can't manage that I think I am in trouble. I should be helping to man an exhibition stand in the gaps, but I know I have cover for that if it gets too much, so I think I'll be ok. I'll go down on the train which means I can sleep and have a supply of food available if I need it, and if the worst comes to the worst, I'll just have to slope off to be sick when I need to - people catching me in the toilets at the event will just think I'm nervous!! :) Main problem is my short term memory loss that I've been going through (someone told me it might still be the after effects of the anaesthetic) - will I remember my presentation or will I dry up on stage? The show must go on ... I'll be fine .... I'm sure I will!

Anyway, enough rambling for now, see you next week!

C

4 comments:

Andy T said...

Don't worry about the event in London. Even though I could never rival your on stage presence and enthusiasm "I've got your back" if necessary ;-)

Anonymous said...

Good to hear there is positive progress and knowing how good you are on your feet - you'll deliver a great presentation/story. When and where is it taking place? I'd like to catch-up.
jb

Anonymous said...

Hey Colin,
Just want to say good luck with the London thing - you're amazing! Really hope all goes well. Hope you continue to feel better like the last few days too. Thinking of you, KT x

Anonymous said...

Colin,

Good luck in London i know you will be fine. If you fancy a practice trip over to Wales let me know. I am between jobs at the moment and have bags of time on my hands.

See you soon AXB