Monday 16 November 2009

Monday 16th November 2009

Hi All,

Quite a busy end to the week, so I waited til today to post an update - sorry for the delay!

I had a bit of a bad day on Thursday - I felt really tired and a bit nauseous. I went to the Hospice therapy session and met the doctor and social worker (she's going to help me get a blue disabled badge which will help).


The doctor recommended some drugs for my breathlessness and to help me through the weekend, and she is also going to start me on a course of acupuncture this Thursday to see if she can alleviate some of the underlying nausea I still get.

I got an appointment with my GP Thursday evening and she prescribed me the drugs the Hospice doc had recommended - OraMorph (oral morphine), which helps breathlessness when taken in small doses, and a course of the Dexomethasone steroids I was on during my chemo. These have both helped quite a lot and I've had a pretty good weekend on the energy front, despite suffering a bit from the nausea.


Friday I took delivery of the awesome Audi R8 for the weekend:


Saturday we set off for the MPH Show at the NEC featuring Top Gear Live courtesy of the Stig (thank-you kindly sir, much appreciated!). We had to wait for him in the foyer so he could come out and give us the tickets. When he came out in his civvies it was really funny to watch hundreds of people pass within inches of him with "I am the Stig" t-shirts on, completely unaware that the real thing was standing right by them!

The show was excellent - culminating in the Stig performing a loop the loop in a car - check out the videos ...

Clarkson, Hammond and May racing Reliant Robins - hilarious! ...



Stig doing the loop ...



Sunday we took the R8 out for a run to the East Coast - Scarborough, Robin Hood's Bay and Whitby. I'd been to Whitby before when I was about 9, but neither of the other places so it was a nice trip. I won't mention the speed that the R8 made on the York bypass :) Awesome car, just awesome ... I have to admit that I was pretty knackered when I got in last night though. Driving is still one thing I can do in relative comfort, but it is quite tiring in the end, especially when driving in the dark where my night vision is not quite as sharp as it used to be so I have to really concentrate.

Unfortunately the car was collected this afternoon, so its back to normality for a while - next hire will be a Ferrari F430, so looking forward to that already!

I did mean to post on the 7th Nov, as that was the anniversary of my diagnosis. I am now officially a Government statistic as a "one year cancer survivor". It's been quite a year, but as I've said before, I just seem to have gone along with it and got used to it.

It doesn't really feel any different although my eating and drinking, my energy levels and the fact that I look like one of those guys photographed in a concentration camp at the end of the war with all my ribs sticking out are really different circumstances to get used to.

I'll let you know how I get on with the acupuncture - that's my highlight of this week (and the fact that I officially go off work on Wednesday)

Cheers,

Colin.

8 comments:

jbee68 said...

Great car Col, a weapon!
I hope the drugs kick-in and you were in my thoughts last week as I heard when in Vegas last year.

When's the 430 coming?

Anonymous said...

Hi Col
Weekend sounded really cool, glad you felt better to enjoy it. Dont know if your Thursday Mtg does it but Cranio Sacral is really helpful for strengthening immune system and emotional stability, i had a horrible boss for a while who bullied me constantly and the help I got with CS kept me sane (ish) and gave me energy to leave.
As to 430 - I do need to seriously research the Rosso Corsa of Felipe compared to other marques so let me know when 430's coming! Take care Olivia (like I need to put my name after that comment!!)

Alan said...

Reads like a great time at Top G. As you work your way through the super cars let us know how they compare. Is the Aston or Audi on top? Ferrari will I am sure put up a challenge. Take care and keep burning the rubber!
A&A

Anonymous said...

Hey Col,
I know nothing about cars and never realised till recently how educated you are about them....still, you had to become educated in something after Danebank eh? Just bought myself a Toyota..feels OK, holds the road but kinda not like those beasts of yours :-)
You sound good, luv KT x

Ray said...

Terrific car Col, I hope you enjoyed it! Tonight I'll be hoping that your club's captain manages to lead us past France. The omens aren't great, 1-0 down from the home leg, but I'll be out watching it and will raise a glass to you either way, on your last working day at HP.
All the best

Krishna said...

Colin, it is very kind of you to be road testing all these lovely cars on our behalf, so we know which one to buy next. You can fit two children's car seats in the back of the Audi R8, can't you?! ;o)

Kx

prt said...

hi colin,was great seeing seeing you lot at the weekend,and pleased you enjoyed the show...shame we couldnt have met for a beer afterwards..but heard from a very excited colin(lee)...he was like a kid in a sweet shop...and the wee mans face was a picture when i gave him a pre show,a great bunch of guys..and hope to all meet up again one day soon...now you will have to let me know the weekend you hire the ferrari and if in england/yorkshire im sure it would be great to catch up with you petrol heads again...anyway must dash..hope to see you soon..best wishes:-)

Andrew K. said...

Col, Nice one! That R8 looks really cool - great photos. I expect to win one in 'Best of the Best' this month so you can bring the Fezza up to Scotland and we can have a blast through the Glens...
All the best.